Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hummus is A Dieter's Best Friend

Hummus and pita bread are such healthy choices in my life that my food shopping always include these delicious items. The Filipina in me loves the lemony after-taste in the hummus. I particularly favor the hummus spreads from Trader Joe's --- and although I also enjoy my Trader Joe's Naan bread, I've been buying their Middle-Eastern flat bread recently.

I substitute hummus for any wraps that ask for cheese spreads or sour cream.

In May of 2001, I had to prepare vegetarian sandwiches for my friends when we attended HH The Dalai Lama's teachings at the Shoreline Auditorium in Mountain View, California. Since Noam, one of my friends, was a real vegan, I was challenged to come up with my own recipe just for him. I used the classic Hye Roller Bread, a standard in making Vegetarian Hye Roller Wraps at that time. Today, there are more types of wraps that keep me interested...

There is going to come a time when I will make my own hummus at home. I found a really good YouTube video from Dede's Mediterranean Kitchen, a website on easy, healthy, Mediterranean Cooking. Thank you, Dede! I'll be using your recipe as a guide to making my own Lorna's Hummus.

Here is Dede's Famous Hummus, courtesy of YouTube.com!



From Dede's website: The Famous Hummus

1/4 Cup Yogurt
1 Can Garbanzo Beans "Chick Peas"
1/2 Cup Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste)
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
2-3 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 Tsp of Salt
1/4 Tsp citric acid "if you need more lemon taste"
2 Tbs water "if to thick"
3-4 Fresh Mint Leaves "for taste"
2 Tbs of Fresh Parsley "for garnish"
1 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper or Paprika "for garnish"
1/4 Cup of Olive Oil "for garnish"

Mix first 9 ingredients and blend until smooth and to desired thickness. Garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments: