Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Diabetes-Friendly Supermarket Shopping Trip

I just got back from Safeway, which is only across the street from where I live.

I had wanted to buy this blood pressure kit for the wrist but the pharmacist at Walgreens told me that the blood pressure kit for the arm was more accurate. $39.99 for the wrist-type versus $89.99 for the arm-type.

"I can't afford the arm-type!" I exclaimed!

The pharmacist understood. "Try Costco."

"Let me think about it," I replied, thankful for her advice.

That's also how I forgot to buy Splenda at Safeway. I couldn't decide about the price difference of the blood pressure kits.

So, here's what I bought today. This will hopefully last a week or more. I'm also going to write how I use some of these diabetes-friendly food items. Yes, recipes for the busy and lazy cook. That's me!

I am not writing the fat content of most of the items, just the carbohydrate content or CHO. I also listed the calories and the prices so I could do some comparison-shopping later.

1. "Salad Cosmo" Mung Bean Sprouts - 16 ozs. (1 lb. or 454 gms.)
Serving Size: 3/4 cup (85 gms.), 24 calories, total CHO = 5 gms., Sugars = 1 gm.
Servings per container: 5.3
Cost: $.99 per package

2. "Live Gourmet" Butter Lettuce
a.k.a. "Absolutely Fresh Because It's Still Alive!" referring to hydroponically-grown vegetables
Cost: $2.99 per package

This is for my salads.

3. "Monterey Clean n Ready" Sliced Mushrooms
Pre-Cleaned Mushrooms / No Preservatives, Washed and Rinsed
Cost: $2.99 per package

This is for my salads.

4. "Soy Deli" Savory Organic Baked Tofu - 8 ozs. (227 gms.)
Serving Size: 3 ozs. (85 gms.), 130 calories; calories from fat = 60 calories
Servings per container: about 2.7
Cost per package: $3.99

I tried this out for the first time a week ago --- and I was pleased with how it tasted on my palate. I just had to buy this again!

5. "Melissa's" Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes - 24 ozs. (680 gms.), about 30 petite potatoes
"No Butter Required"
Cost per package: $3.99

6. English Cucumbers - seedless, 1.75 lb. (1 piece)
Cost: $.79/lb.
Cost per cucumber: $2.69

I cut diagonal slices of this cucumber and store them in a dry, plastic container.

7. "Fresh Gourmet" Crispy Onions, Garlic Pepper Flavor - 3.5 ozs. (99 gms.)
"Crunchy Toppings for Salads --- and More!"
Serving Size: 1-1/2 Tbsps. (7 gms.), 35 calories; fat = 2 gms. (no trans fat), CHO = 4 gms.
Servings per container: about 14
Cost per container: $2.99

Here's my dirty little secret! I found a safer alternative to potato chips! I bought two bags of this product: one for snacking and one for my salads. I calculated that if I polish off one package, it would be 35 calories multiplied by 14 calories equals 490 calories or 56 gms. of carbohydrates. I know it's still a sin!

8. "Calbee Snack Salad" Snapea Crisps, Original Flavor - 3.3 ozs. (95 gms.)
Serving size: 1 oz., 28 gms. (about 22 pieces); 150 calories, calories from fat = 70, total CHO = 14 gms., sugars less than 1 gm.
Servings per container: 3.3
Cost per container: $1.50

Sometimes, I choose the Caesar Salad Flavor. Yes, I'm guilty of using this as a snack food, not as a topping for my salads.

9. "Sun-Maid" Raisins - 12 ozs. (340 gms.)
100% natural, no fat, no cholesterol
Serving size: 1/4 cup (40 gms.); 130 calories, total CHO = 31 gms., sugars = 29 gms.
Servings per container: about 9
Cost per container: $2.99

Fruit-on-the go! Whenever I need a "sugar fix," raisins are good. Just don't overdo it.

10. "The Produce Stand" Pitted Dates, Grown in California - 8 ozs. (226 gms.)
No fat calories!
Serving size: 5 to 6 dates (40 gms.); 120 calories, total CHO = 31 gms., sugars = 29 gms.
Servings per container: about 6
Cost per container: $2.49

I really have a sweet tooth! Instead of chocolates, I'd rather choose dates.

No comments: