Thursday, September 6, 2007

Mung Bean Sprouts and Baked Tofu Saute

8:00 am, fasting - 88


Cooking Tip: I use a cast-iron skillet for almost everything except boiling water and cooking acidic foods like tomatoes (unless I'm o.k. with my tomatoes turning a little darker). When I was very anemic 10 years ago, my doctor advised me to use an iron skillet because the iron is quickly absorbed by the food. I have not owned any teflon or non-stick pan since I bought my three cast-iron skillets from Austin, Texas many years ago. I hope to bequeath this set to at least three more generations of cooks in our family.

About This Recipe: Although I use tofu here, I've substituted it with any leftover meats or seafood. This is truly one of my favorite concoctions. I can cook this healthy meal within 5 minutes, even if I'm very hungry.


MUNG BEAN SPROUTS & BAKED TOFU SAUTE


Prepare the following:
extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tsps., for sauteeing
chopped cilantro, 1 tsp. (or buy the Trader Joe's Dorot frozen-packed chopped cilantro, 20 tsps. servings)
chopped garlic, 2 tsps. (or buy ready-made chopped garlic, bottled)
sliced crimini mushrooms, 1 cup (or buy ready-sliced mushrooms)
1/4 package of organic baked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (see Food Shopping category for the brand I use)
McCormick Grill Mates Spicy Montreal Steak Seasoning, 1 tsp. or to taste
Mama Sita Oyster Sauce, 2 tsps. to 3 tsps., to taste
1/2 package of mung bean sprouts (see Food Shopping category for the brand I use)
Procedure:
1. Season cast-iron skillet. Add extra-virgin olive oil. Heat the skillet over a medium flame.
2. When the skillet is hot enough, saute chopped garlic. Add sliced crimini mushrooms or any mushrooms of your choice.
3. Add cubed tofu and season with Montreal Steak Seasoning and Oyster Sauce.
4. When heated through, add the mung bean sprouts. Saute for about 3 to 5 minutes. The sprouts should be crunchy yet hot enough to eat.
Serves 2.


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments: